Search This Blog

Monday 30 November 2009

Should I stay or should I go?

I've come to the conclusion that this blog has become a little formulaic lately. I mean, you know what's coming next under normal circumstances: A mini-review of tomorrow evening's home match v Walsall, an examination of the bookies odds followed by a recommendation of where to place your hard-earned cash, finishing with my idea of what the team should be. Well, I'm feeling rebellious today. Sorry, but I can't be arsed with the mini-review, no-one in their right mind would be taking my advice when it comes to betting (-£14.50 for the season so far!) and Skivo never seems to listen to me when selecting his team; so I think I'll take a different approach to blogging today.

The fact is I find myself very ambivalent in my attitude towards tomorrow's game, so much so that I'm considering whether to go or not. Perhaps I'd better explain further: Everyone who knows me knows that as well as supporting the mighty Glovers I'm also an armchair Spurs fan. And tomorrow evening the match against Walsall coincides with Tottenham's League Cup quarter-final tie at Old Trafford against Manchester United, live on Sky TV.

Now a few years ago there would have been no question as to what I'd have done. A YTFC home game took precedence over anything else, no matter what. But these days my attitude has changed. Nowadays the attraction of Huish Park on a cold December night has waned considerably when compared to the advantages of staying home in the warm and dry, in the company of my loved ones. It's not as if the club will be missing anything in the way of financial input from me. I've already bought and paid for my season ticket so the club will count me as attending whether I'm actually there in person or not. I don't buy a programme or use either the snack bars or the beer tent so the club won't miss my money there. The linesman on the Cowlin side may well miss my well thought out constructive criticism when he gets an offside call wrong but apart from that gentleman I don't suppose anyone else would even notice my absence; so why do I feel guilty for even contemplating missing the game in favour of watching Spurs on the box?

The truth be told I'm not feeling at all guilty. Life's too short to do stuff you don't particularly want to do and it's not actually compulsory to attend if you have something else you'd prefer to do instead. It's just that this feeling of ambivalence is something new and strange to me. When does attendance become a habit, and then a chore? It's not as if the team are boring to watch these days, or I live miles away - I'm about 500 yards away from the ground as the crow flies. But as things stand today I have little or no enthusiasm for even making that small effort, not when the weather forecast is for cold and wet conditions and I've got the choice of watching live football on the telly in the warm instead. If that makes me a bad supporter then I guess I'm a bad supporter. Along with all those other missing fans from 3-4 years ago. Who knows, if Huish Park boasted a proper supporters bar or social club instead of a tent then the attraction of going to meet up with friends or family before and after the match for a drink and maybe something to eat would make the effort of going to the game and braving the cold and wet worthwhile, but alas, that's just a pipedream.

I haven't completely made up my mind yet. It might be that come 7.30 Tuesday evening I say 'sod it' and make the short journey to Huish Park after all. But equally, I may not. Sorry.

4 comments:

  1. go to huish park. support your local club. I am from Croatia and if I were you, I would go to Huish Park, no matter what. Corluka and Kranjcar wouldn't change my decision. Cheers.

    Vedran

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Vedran. Besides, if you don't go it means I will be forced to speak to Pinky and Perky at half time...

    DazTaylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I did go in the end, and of course we lost, and lost badly. To add insult to injury I then came home having managed to avoid hearing the score from Old Trafford and then sat through another 90 minutes of shite! Who'd be a football fan?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...well at least the mighty light blues managed to see off Arsenal ladies last night, so you fell at the same hurdle as them...onwards and upwards to the semi-final humiliation!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete