Search This Blog

Monday 23 November 2009

New kid on the blog

I've been moaned at by several different people lately for only updating this blog twice a week. Never let it be said I don't listen, two updates in two days now, I'm too good to you. And when if you get fed up with my words of, er, wisdom there's somewhere else to go now for your Glovers fix with the appearance of another YTFC blog - Vyse's Green and White blog. You can't have too many Glovers blogs as far as I'm concerned, good luck to Vyse and I hope he enjoys doing his blog as much as I enjoy doing this one.

It's a funny old week this week. A rare Tuesday night game tomorrow (at least, Tuesday night games appear rare this season, probably because we've been knocked out of all cup competitions in the 1st round) followed by an even rarer free Saturday, followed by a home Tuesday night game next week.

The Glovers travel to deepest Kent for tomorrow evening's match, away to Gillingham. And a fascinating match it should be. The Gills are 18th in the table, 4 points behind ourselves and are coming off the back of a 2-1 loss away to Bristol Rovers. On the face of it this is the kind of bread-and-butter game that we have to fancy getting something out of, certainly if any vague play-off aspirations are to be fulfilled. However, let's not kid ourselves - Gillingham have an excellent home record this season with 5 wins out of 8 games played and are nobody's fools at the Priestfield Stadium. The bookies make them 11/10 favourites for the win, the draw is priced at 23/10, and a Yeovil win at 5/2. Despite the Gills good home record I honestly fancy us to get something out of this game, but will err slightly on the side of caution. My fiver's going on the draw. Running total: -£9.50p.

As for the team tomorrow night I said in my last blog that I think Skivo needs to try to find a way to play Ryan Mason, Jon Obika and Dean Bowditch in the same team without exiling any one of the above on one of the wings. To that end I would be inclined to tweak the formation slightly. I'd keep the flat back four and the two holding midfielders, but I'd lose one of the wingers, either Scott Murray or Andy Welsh, keep Mason in his floating position behind Obika and let Bowditch join Obika up front. The remaining winger would then play as a winger but would swap sides as and when to keep the opposition guessing. So a kind of 4-3-1-2 if you like, but in effect swapping a winger for an extra striker. My team then, assuming all are fit:

Alex McCarthy
Craig Alcock, Stefan Stam, Steven Caulker, Danny Hutchins
Scott Murray, JP Kalala, Shaun MacDonald,
Ryan Mason
Dean Bowditch, Jon Obika

Easy this management lark! By the way, hands up who else picked this weekend to put Jermain Defoe into their fantasy premier league team! Luvvly jubbly!

No comments:

Post a Comment