Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 August 2009

Time for some changes?

The Glovers head of to deepest Devon this evening in need of getting something out of our latest and newest derby match, away to Exeter City. I say we need something - a draw will do, a win would be better, but after 2 successive losses then if we're still genuinely expecting to have a good season then we need to take more than hope for the future from this game, we need a point or three as well.

If it was me in charge I'd change things around a little. In defence it's time to give Craig Alcock a start at right-back and Nathan Smith on the left. I'd persevere with the Stefan Stam/Steven Caulker partnership at centre-back, but if Skivo was to replace either with Terrell Forbes I wouldn't complain overmuch at that.

I'd switch formation to a 5-man midfield. I'd play Andy Welsh on the left but tell him to stay wide, stop heading into blind alleys inside all the time and concentrate on crossing the ball from the by-line. Scott Murray on the right, same instructions. George O'Callaghan and Danny Schofield in the middle, O'Callaghan sitting deep, Schofield slightly further forward. I'd have Ryan Mason playing 'in the hole' as an attacking midfielder with Jon Obika on his own up front.

In short, lining up like this:

Alex McCarthy
Craig Alcock, Stefan Stam, Steven Caulker, Nathan Smith
Scott Murray, Danny Schofield, George O'Callaghan, Andy Welsh
Ryan Mason
Jon Obika

That's slightly rough on the likes of Sam Williams and Gavin Tomlin who haven't done a great deal wrong in the last couple of matches but in my opinion the absence of a midfield enforcer - a Mark Bircham or Gary Roberts type of player - is leaving us looking lightweight in the middle and exposing our defence and filling the midfield with bodies is my attempt at alleviating that. Playing two out-and-out forwards is nice if practicable, but with the personnel currently available in our midfield 2 forwards is a luxury we're struggling to afford. We need to tighten up. I would even think about playing Terrell Forbes as a defensive midfielder if needs be at the expense of either O'Callaghan or Schofield, but I think that may be a step too far for Skivo. Whatever, the gaffer has said that he's still looking to bring in another midfielder to the squad, sooner rather than later hopefully.

Edit - re-reading the above I realise I've completely forgotten about Kieran Murtagh, no-one's idea of a proper defensive midfielder I'm sure, but possibly the nearest thing we've got to one at the moment. Mind you, he's another who's been conspicuous by his absence so far this season. Maybe it's his turn tonight?

So much for my ramblings, I suspect in real life Skivo won't make many changes, if any. As far as my gambling career is concerned, tonight I could be going into the red for the first time this season. Hmmm, perhaps that's an omen - Exeter play in red... But no, my one unwritten rule is never to bet against the Glovers. Though it's not an unwritten rule anymore is it? Enough of this wordplay! The odds are 11/10 for the home win, 12/5 the draw, 5/2 the Glovers to win. My fiver, god help me, is going on an away win. Running total: +£2.50p.

No comments:

Post a Comment