Search This Blog

Thursday 11 March 2010

The loan arranger rides again

Cast your minds back to last August. If a passing time-traveller had told you then that on March 11th 2010 the Glovers would be in 13th place in the league, on 41 points and 9 points away from the relegation zone, would you have been happy? I would, I'd have been bloody delighted, and I would suggest that the vast majority of Yeovil fans would feel the same way. Similarly, in our last 3 games we've won 2 and lost 1, 6 points from 9 to put it another way, and again you've got to be, if not pleased, then surely content with a return like that. Haven't you?

So if our league position is so (comparatively) comfortable, why has the mood on the green room this week been so downbeat, with posters queueing up to condemn everything about the club, from the management to the board, by way of the snackbars and the beer tent? Skivo himself has been castigated with posters criticising his team, his selections, his motivational skills and his tactics, as well as his reliance on loan players to make us competitive. God knows what he makes of it but I admit I'm a bit bemused by it all. Well, let me clarify that. I fully understand and concur with criticism of the board's failure to develop alternative revenue streams at the club, plus the criticism of the dire state of the snackbars and beer tent; it's the stick Skivo's been getting I find somewhat surprising. Admittedly I didn't put the time and effort in to make the long trip to Norwich last Saturday to see us walloped 3-0 and put in a display that by all accounts fluctuated between feeble and toothless, and perhaps if I had I'd be feeling a bit differently; nevertheless some perspective is I think required. Norwich's resources eclipse ours in every way. They are a Premiership club in all but name, can afford to lose £3 million this season without blinking or seemingly thinking twice and have the likes of Owain Tudur-Jones unable even to find a place on their bench. It was disappointing that we succumbed as tamely as we apparently did, but not the be-all and end-all of our season. This Saturday's home game against Hartlepool is rather more significant. As for the over-reliance on loan players, Skivo himself has admitted that he would prefer to see more contracted players and less loanees in future. Patience is required to let him get the balance right in future.

Lecture over. But I must admit I was amused today reading the reaction on the green room to the news that Super Gavin Williams has signed on loan from Bristol City for a month, with the possibility that he could stay 'til the end of the season. It appears that the prejudice against loan players doesn't count when it's Super Gav coming back! In all fairness it is a bit of a strange one. Williams is predominantly a wide player these days, though of course we know he's also capable of playing as the second striker or in central midfield. His arrival means we're back to 6 loanees, with the possibility of a 7th arriving before the loan deadline next week in the form of a central defender; though Skivo has said that he would prefer to sign a free agent if at all possible. We will see. Whatever, Gav's signing once again heightens speculation about Ryan Mason's future at Yeovil. With Williams, Arron Davies, Gavin Tomlin, Andy Welsh, Scott Murray and Mason all competing for the same few places in the team it wouldn't be a surprise in my humble opinion if Ryan was allowed to return to White Hart Lane slightly ahead of schedule. And given the way he's been struggling with injury and loss of form since the new year, that may be the best outcome for both him and us.

What Williams' return has already done and what it will do on Saturday is to give everyone a bit of a lift. We know what he's capable of when fit and we know how good he can be. I said a while back that we don't really have a player capable of doing the unexpected that splits open defences and creates chances. Gavin Tomlin and Arron Davies show flashes of it from time to time, Ryan Mason had it for a while in the first part of the season - Williams does it consistently. Can't wait to see him play again.

The bookies make the Glovers favourites for Saturday's fixture against Hartlepool at 5/4 for the home win. The draw is priced at 23/10 and an away win at 11/5. My fiver's going on the home win. Running total: -£4.63p.

Muffwatch: Send not to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee. Former Glover Jerry Gill has resigned as manager of terminal basket-cases Weymouth after 44 days of trying and failing to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The moribund Muff are down and almost out. If a CVA cannot be agreed with creditors next week then the club will be liquidated; if there is agreement and they're not liquidated they'll definitely be relegated, down to the Southern League. So much for 'living the dream'. I suppose there's a lesson for us all there.

4 comments:

  1. For me the game at Tranmere was a lesson in how dull and lacking in enterprise our football can be sometimes. I know you don't travel to away games anymore, but for me, it feels that we have lost the spark we had on our travels, Walsall being the exception recently. Its that uncertainty as to what to expect, that makes the travelling and supporting difficult and Skivo has to take a share of the blame for the poor performances and the lower attendances both home and away. I agree the uish Park experience outside and in the Stadium could be improved but its what is happening on the pitch that counts, and often it doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But don't you agree that Skivo deserves credit for getting us into a position of relative safety? Or is that not enough any more? (I'm not asking that to be confrontational, I'd genuinely like others opinions)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree we are "relatively safe" and Skivo and the squad can take credit for that, and I concede at the start of the season I did not expect us to be play-off contenders. What I find difficult to accept are the fluctuating performances, the odd balance to the squad and the lack of entertainment for my money. Maybe I have been unlucky in the games I have been to this year. Like you I welcome opinions of all shades, don't mind if people disagree with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect that's the difference between someone who watches only home games and someone who watches mainly away games :) Home matches - W7 D6 L4 F27 A 19; away matches - W3 D5 L10 F15 A 29. It's no wonder we have different perceptions about how we're doing!

    ReplyDelete